Saturday, July 22, 2006

July 22, 2006

The morning started with sporadic rain showers so I already figured it would be a short work day. I could immediately tell when my carpenter called hoping to get the word from me to postpone finishing the roof until next Saturday. I told him not to come over today.

A friend came over to help me work on some small items. We partially removed the tarp from the
roof in the work area. We trimmed ceiling joists and installed all of the hurricane anchors in preparation for the roof sheathing. The hurricane anchors attach to the rafters and top plate to keep the roof from blowing off in a storm. They are mandatory in some parts of the country but in my case they are optional. We learned the differences between the hurricane anchors. My carpenter ordered two types which were mirrored versions depending on which side of the rafter they are installed. They have to be installed properly especially when mounted from inside of the shed. We learned they can interfere with the installation of drywall in the future.

I finished the day by reviewing materials needed for next Saturday. I discovered a shortage of 1x8 soffit board and drip edge. My wife also passed on an article to me on protecting the roof. It recommended using a waterproof membrane to protect the roof against water penetration. It's applied before the roofing felt. Another item to buy.

Toward the end of the day we had wind and rain which blew off part of the tarp. I forgot to tie-down the tarp with rope. Fortunately I purchased a tarp with grommets along the edge. My son and I were soaked after making the fix.

No comments: